Doors. They’re such an integral part of our lives that we often take them for granted. But have you ever stopped to ponder the question, “How many doors are there in the world?”
In the era of the internet, discussions on many different topics run rife – with one such debate being about whether there are more doors or wheels in the world. This split people into either team wheels or team doors, with various estimates being thrown back and forth.
For us here at Perth Window and Door, we’re obviously much more interested in learning how many doors there are as opposed to how many wheels there are. As intriguing as it is difficult to answer, let’s embark on a fun journey through the fascinating world of doors!
Doors Throughout History
From the humble beginnings of merely an entranceway in a cave to grand, ornate gates of palaces, doors have come a long way. In ancient times, doors were primarily for protection from the elements and intruders.
The first depiction of doors came in the form of Egyptian tomb paintings, which depict false doors that were used to decorate walls. At the same time, Europeans were beginning to carve doors out of oak wood.
As civilization progressed, so did the designs and purposes of doors. Some cultures, like the Romans, treated doors as symbolic gateways, while for others, doors were integral to their architectural aesthetics.
Notable doors in history include the first automatic door engineered by the Romans in 10 AD, shoji screens that were the origins of folding interior doors as well as the fusuma, a form of modern sliding doors.
Famous Doors Around the World
On top of noting doors throughout history, it would be remiss to not mention some of the world’s most iconic doors. We’ve noted some of these great doors below.
- The Columbus Doors, Washington DC, USA – In terms of grand doors that tell a story, these are a sight to behold. Originally created in Germany in 1855, the panels on the doors depict the life of Christopher Columbus.
- 10 Downing Street, Westminster, UK – For over 300 years, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom has resided at this location. While the building has seen many renovations, the jet-black door, gold mail slot and black door knock have remained consistent, exuding sophistication and importance not often found elsewhere.
- Hobbiton, New Zealand – The Lord of the Rings is a popular fantasy franchise consisting of multiple books, movies and more. In New Zealand, you can find a recreation of the fabled locale of Hobbiton, along with its quaint wooden circular doors.
- Georgian Doors, Dublin, Ireland – While there are various stories and rumours behind them, the vibrantly coloured Georgian Doors are a very popular and significant collection of doors that make a Dublin visit required.
Interesting Facts About Doors
Doors are full of more surprises than you would expect – here are some interesting fun facts about doors. Did you know…
- The month of January is named for Janus – the Roman god of doors and beginnings.
- The world’s most expensive door, adorned with 320 diamonds and 80 kg of gold, is in the Harbin Institute of Technology in China.
- The oldest known wooden door, dating back to 3,100 BC, was found in Zurich, Switzerland.
- The largest door in the world is situated at the NASA Vehicle Assembly Building at the Kennedy Space Centre in Florida, USA. Due to its size, it takes 45 minutes just to fully open and close!
Importance of Doors for Perth Homes and Businesses
For Perth residents and business owners, doors are more than just entrances and exits. They are an expression of style, a statement of quality, and a testament to security. From classic timber doors to modern aluminium options, the right door enhances a property’s aesthetics while providing function and security.
Estimating The Number of Doors
Now, to the million-door question: “How many doors are there in the world?” First, it’s important to consider a few factors to best account for all the doors on the planet.
According to the UN, as of 2023, the global population stands at approximately 8 billion. If we consider an average of 4 rooms per household, each with a door, plus an entrance door, that’s a minimum of 5 doors per home.
On top of this, the average number of people living in each household sits at around 4.9 people per household (according to Statista). With some maths work, we can estimate the total number of households worldwide sits at roughly 1.63 billion. Thus, even with a minimum of 5 doors per household, we have an approximation of 8.163 billion doors worldwide.
Don’t forget though – this is just doors from households and residences such as apartment buildings. Include commercial buildings, institutions, and transportation vehicles – which can come in variants of two and four doors – and the number of doors can be staggering!
Get Your Next Set of Doors with Perth Window and Door Replacement
So, “How many doors are there in the world?” While we may never know the exact number of doors globally, one thing’s for sure – each door has its own tale, imbued with the essence of human history, culture, and ingenuity. Remember, the value of a door extends far beyond its function. It’s a gateway to your world and a reflection of your style.
If you’re looking for a new set of doors for your household or business, the team at Perth Window and Door can help. We have a wide range of options available and can even custom-make doors for your needs.
Whether you need an internal hinged door, some new patio doors, or a set of front doors to add more external style to your property, we are sure to have something for you. Contact us today to find out more about our excellent range of doors and windows!